Wednesday, December 9, 2020

Stay Connected to the Vine!

Connected: join together, unite, associated in the mind
Pruning: trim by cutting away dead or overgrown branches or stems, especially to increase fruitfulness and growth

Last week my husband pruned a couple of the trees in our yard. When he was done, he took the cut limbs and set them out by the road to be picked up. Within three days, those limbs had turned brown. They were dying, because they were separated from the tree that gave the life. They were no longer receiving nutrients, there was no substance available to feed them. As I looked at those limbs, I couldn't help but think about how it's the same way in the spiritual realm - when we are separated from the vine or the tree of life (which is Jesus), we quickly die spiritually because we are not being feed. For those limbs, it took about three days for them to go downhill... for some of us, we could be just one day removed from church when things start to get squirrelly!

John 15:4 tells us, "Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me." When things start to brown within us because we've separated ourselves from the Lord, keep verse 6 in mind: "If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned." Don't mess around and get burnt!

Just as my husband was doing in the natural, in the spiritual world the Lord will prune us back when needed - even if we are producing. Think about it. When you're gardening, you prune your trees and flowers because it allows them to increase in fruitfulness and growth. The same thing happens for us - the Lord prunes us so we can grow and bring forth more fruit, more love, more peace, more joy, more kindness, and more patience. And that's not all - John 15:7 also tells us: "But if you stay in me and obey my commands, you may ask any request you like, and it will be granted" (TLB). More peace, joy, love and my requests granted?! Well, you can't beat that with a stick!

How awesome is God's love for us? But it's critical that we stay connected to the vine. He said "I am the true vine." He wants us to stay joined to Him. So stay connected my friends!

With all that said, let the Church say Amen... and AMEN!

No comments:

Post a Comment