Wednesday, January 22, 2020

Do You Have a Case of Spiritual Amnesia??

Amnesia: the loss of memory

As we go through our busy lives from day to day, sometimes we don’t stop to think about where our blessings come from - as long as they keep coming. Some of us get so bad that we may even occasionally forget to thank God for them. We just simply don’t give it much thought. How many of us have thought, "I worked from eight to five every day this week; so I’m the one that provided all this for me and my family." That's dangerous territory we are walking in and it's during those moment that we could be accused of having a serious case of spiritual amnesia!

Deuteronomy 8:17-18 tells us, "And thou say in thine heart, My power and the might of mine hand hath gotten me this wealth. But thou shalt remember the Lord thy God: for it is he that giveth thee power to get wealth that He may establish His covenant which He sware unto thy fathers, as it is this day." Don't develop a case of spiritual amnesia! As this scripture reminds us, all the wealth we might have has been given to us by the Lord.

We don’t want to be like the children of Egypt, either. They really had a loss of memory, how quickly did they seem to forget about the Lord that parted the Red Sea on their behalf; how quickly did they forgot the shoes that never wore out and the clothes that never got too small. How could they forget that, especially since there were no Singer sewing machines, and no Famous Footwear shoes stores in the wilderness?! They ate angel’s food, but I'm pretty sure there were no angelic Piggy Wiggly grocery stores out there! They had a serious case of Spiritual amnesia!

Isaiah 44:21 says, "Remember these, O Jacobs and Israel; for thou art my servant: I have formed thee; thou art my servant: O Israel, thou shalt not be forgotten of me." So let us not forget to remember our Lord and the many blessings he has bestowed onto us.

It would be pretty hard to have Spiritual Amnesia if we practiced Psalms 63:5-7: "...My mouth shall praise thee with Joyful lips: When I remember thee upon my bed, and meditate on thee in the night watches. Because thou hast been my help, therefore in the shadow of thy wings will I rejoice."

If we are meditating on Him while we are lying upon our bed and remembering the wonderful things He has done for us in the night watches, it would be harder for us to have spiritual amnesia when we are in the midst of the storm. If we are rejoicing in His goodness continually; constantly praising Him for His excellent greatness - how could we possibly forget what He has delivered us from and this beautiful place that He has brought us to? How could we possibly have Spiritual Amnesia!? Stay reflective, my friends!

With all that said, let the church say amen... and AMEN!

No comments:

Post a Comment