Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Afflictions Have a Purpose!

Afflictions: hardships and trials

All Christians have afflictions -- if you think about it, either you have had afflictions; you are in the midst of an affliction; or just keep living -- you will most certainly face affliction. The good news is that all of our afflictions have a specific purpose behind them. Psalms 34:19 tells us, "Many are the afflictions of the righteous: but the Lord delivereth him out of them all." Not only does He deliver us out of those trials, but He also comforts us throughout. This allows us to comfort others who are facing affliction AND allows Him to reshape us into His image and to take us to the next level.

The Lord occasionally uses affliction to bring us back to Him. David said "Before I was afflicted I went astray: but now have I kept thy word." David also said "It is good for me that I have been afflicted; that I might learn thy statues." After experiencing  some trials and hardships, David later said, "The law of thy mouth is better unto me than thousands of gold and silver." Like David, we are all guilty of putting God on the back burner every now and again, but the Lord knows just how to bring us back to Him. So Praise God for the afflictions that bring us closer to him!

The Lord also uses afflictions to test us. You may be familiar with the story of Job and how the Lord allowed him to be afflicted... a few times! Job complained mighty, saying, "God hath delivered me to the ungodly, and turned me over into the hands of the wicked. I was at ease, but He hath broken me asunder: he hath also taken me by the neck, and shaken me to pieces, and set me up for his mark" (Job 16:11-12). What's important is that Job's suffering was not random or without purpose. The Lord was reshaping Job by getting those things out of his heart that was not like Him. But I'm pleased to report that the end results were awesome! Job eventually passed the Lord's test(s) and he came out on the other side with twice as much!

Remember my friends, "For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory" (2 Corinthians 4:17). God is not trying to kill us; He only wants to perfect us because He loves us!

With all that said, let the Church say Amen... and AMEN!                      

No comments:

Post a Comment