Wednesday, September 16, 2015

There's POWER in Your Words!

Words: a message, a brief talk or command
Powerful: possessing energy or great force; having authority

Let's go back to the beginning where God created the heaven and the earth; since He created everything with words. If you look at Genesis 1:3-6, each scripture starts with "and God said," "and God said," and so on. God created everything simply by speaking it into existence. Since His word tells us that we are made in His image and He created with words, in a way, we can also create with words. Now, don't get me wrong - this is not to say that we have the same power as God (not even close!), but there are some things of Him within us. Proverbs 18:21 says; "Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof." In other words, we will eat death or life with just our words. Our words are powerful, so let’s make sure that we're speaking life.

I remember this time when one of my friends was angry with their supervisor, who was scheduled to go out of town for the weekend. In that moment of anger, my friend said; "I hope she ends up with two flat tires!" Wouldn't you know it - that’s exactly what happened! Words are like seeds - you plant them, water them, and they grow. That's why it's crucial that we plant seeds of life, because they have power. So, let the weak say "I am strong;" let the poor say "I am rich;" let the sick say "I am healed!"

If we want to change something in our lives, we should start with our words, because words can hurt you or they can heal you. I've often heard this saying; "sticks and stones may break my bones, but words can never harm me." Well, I'm here to tell you that is not a true statement; words are powerful and they can sometimes cut deeper than a knife. If those words are sharp enough, it's likely that you will never forget them. Even though you may forgive the one(s) that spoke them, they are always in the back of your mind.

Let’s store up words of love and words of peace, because we express our feelings with them. We can inspire ourselves and others; we can build ourselves and others up, or we can tear ourselves and others down. Our words have power, so let’s speak life; such as, "I’m blessed and highly favored by the Lord;" "I’m blessed in the city and out of the city;" and "I’m the head and not the tail." We must use our words wisely, my friends, because while they can be forgiven, there's a great chance that they may never be forgotten.

With all that said, let the Church say Amen… and AMEN!

No comments:

Post a Comment