Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Persistence Pays Dividends!

Persistence: To continue firmly despite obstacles

Giving up and quitting is so prevalent in our society today, mostly because we are in this microwave generation, where we want everything right now. It's crucial that we learn to slow down, stay focused and continue firmly toward whatever it is that we are after. This rush-rush thing is our way, but not necessarily God's way. Sure, He can do whatever it is that we are asking - right now - if He wants to, but that’s not always the case; that not always what He wants for us. If He gave us everything we wanted exactly when we want it, how would we ever grow?

The Lord allows obstacles to cross our paths to see if we are going to be persistent or if we are just going to rollover and let the obstacles crush us. For instance, once upon a time, I wanted a job at a bank. I had no banking experience and that was one of their primary requirements, but I didn’t let that deter me - I filled out the application anyway. When I submitted the application, the hiring manager told me that it would be hard, because I had no prior experience, but I started calling her once a week. You know what? My persistence eventually paid off. Even though it took three months, I got the call I had been waiting for and I worked there for almost thirteen years. What if I had quit after the first few no's? Or even after the first month of calling?? Persistence pays big dividends, so don’t quit!

Look at the Shunammite woman in II Kings 4:20, her son was dead but she did not let that obstacle stop her. Instead of telling her husband that their Son was dead, she told him it shall be well, and she pressed her way to the man of God and fell at his feet. After telling him the situation he was going to send his servant, but she said, "As the Lord liveth, and as they soul liveth, I will not leave thee." And he arose, and followed her. He raised her son from the dead. What if she had not been persistent?!

I’m sure there are so many things we have asked the Lord for, but because we didn't get them when we thought we should have them - we stopped asking, we stopped being thankful for it and we simply lost focus. Remember my friends; patience is another aspect of persistence, whether we are asking for something naturally or spiritually. We must never give up; we must never quit - we must continue to persist firmly despite any obstacle that might cross our path!!

With all that said, let the Church say amen… and Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment