Wednesday, January 8, 2014

The Lord Will Deliver His Own!

Deliver: Rescue, Free
Own: Belonging to oneself

We often look in the wrong places for our needs to be met. We look for people, places, and things to meet our needs. However, the truth of the matter is what we need is not found in people, places or things. What we actually need is in the Lord.
David said in Psalms 18:2, "The Lord is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust: my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower." Let’s take a closer look at this scripture and see what David is saying to us.

The Lord is my Rock. What's a rock? Someone who is dependable. Deuteronomy 32:4 says; "He is the Rock, His work is perfect: for all His ways are judgment: a God of truth and without iniquity, just and right is He." Whatever we have need of, it’s in the Rock... a Rock that’s well able to deliver His own.

The Lord is our Fortress. The word Fortress goes back to the word rock - it means stone; strong hold.  Our needs and substance are there just waiting on us to come and get them.

Verse two goes on to mention "my Deliverer." In other words, our Rock will carry us away to safety when we're in danger or harm's reach. I Corinthians 10:13 says; "There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it." That means there is nothing we can get into that the Lord can’t deliver us out of.

My God. The all-sufficient and the almighty one.

My Strength. Strength is our prevailing power; the quality of being strong. This means that when we are weak, we can and must allow our Lord to be strong in our lives. We must learn to lie down and let Him take the high place.

In whom I will Trust. We should not put our trust in ourselves, nor in man - all of our trust and confidence must go in the Lord.

My Buckler. The Lord is our armed defense, our ruler, our shield... the shield that protects us from all hurt and harm.

And the Horn of my salvation. The horn speaks of power; a ray of light. This means that the Lord is our power, He created the light and He is the light.

And my high Tower. A place of security or defense. When we are in that place of security, no man can pluck us out of His hands (John 10:28).

When we see all that God has to offer, why would we look for people, places, or things to deliver us?!  Let's be like David; let's keep our eyes on the Lord and put this into the atmosphere:

"The Lord is my rock and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower!"

With all that said, let the church say amen… and AMEN!

1 comment: